Thursday, May 8, 2008

Who am I?

I heard an absolutely amazing article today on NPR. It's about this young girl, Violet, who was actually born a boy. Get it here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90273278

The story brought tears to my eyes as I listened to them talk about the trials this girl and her family went through while she grew up trapped inside a boy's body. Now, I won't try to pretend that my life is anywhere remotely as difficult as hers but it did get me to thinking about the dual lives many of us, including myself lead.

The question of who I am isn't something I'm used to thinking much about. Sure, many many moons ago, when I was a teenager, I thought about it incessantly, but that was a long time ago. Recently though, as my life as a writer has come more and more into conflict with my "normal" life, I find myself navigating through this strange existence where the two parts of me have less and less in common.

I go to work and think about computer development projects, project plans, resource needs, office politics, yada yada. Then, I come home, reach deep down inside, and try to find my way back to my creativity, the alternate world my novel is set in, and the lives of my characters. The two are so diametrically opposed that some days I can't even successfully switch back and forth between them.

So who am I? Well, right now I'm a writer, and an IT guy, and a blogger, and someone who buys too many comics.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when you think about this, i have absolutely nothing to complain about. one's identity is so dear and so innate to one's self, I can't imagining what it is like to question that. no one would choose that and no one should have to fight feelings that strong.